Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A new addition to our living room

If you guessed the horse heads (in my post yesterday), you got it!


I don't know why, but I really fell in love with this pair of iron horse heads on their aging brass bases, connected by a perfectly weathered chain.  I've seen a lot of "equestrian chic" rooms in magazines and on blogs, and always admire them... but, I think there's a limit to how much of this style I can pull off in my suburban home - with no connection to horses, whatsoever.  So, this is my nod to the equestrian design influence. 

They make me happy. 

They also inspired me to mess around with my tripod a bit more and take some new photos of our living room.  My earlier living room post focused on one side of the room.  This time, I focused on the opposite side. 

The mantle display is ever-changing, but I think the horse heads are in for the long haul.  The covered vase in the center was a gift from my grandparents; we bought the mirror on Portobello Road in London; the glass vases and candlesticks were wedding gifts; the fireplace screen belonged to the previous owners of our house; and, I purchased the globe decorative balls at The Old Lucketts Store.




This is the view from behind the blue sofa looking toward the front of the house.  The doorway on the left leads to our foyer and front door.  The chairs are from Ethan Allen.  We bought the suzani pillow on right in Turkey.  I made the ikat pillow on left with Magnificat Classic from Calico Corners.  The paintings were gifts from my grandparents.  The wooden piece below the paintings is a vintage Danish bar cabinet that we purchased through Craigslist.  The wooden bench is another Craigslist score.  The roman shades are from Pottery Barn (discontinued).

The little vintage sewing stand beside the chair was also a Craigslist find (and is great for hiding diapers and wipes). 

I tried to make a little vignette with the rocks and Sumner bust that I found at an estate sale recently - but, it looks kind of off-balance... I'll keep working on it.

I made the pillows on the bench a few years ago - they were my first attempt at sewing pillows - and first attempt at using cording.  Alas, they got booted off the sofa and relegated to the bench when I got tired of the tight blue/beige color palette and decided to inject a pop of color and more vibrant patterns.  We inherited this fabulous tole flower-basket lamp-table from my husband's late grandmother, along with our bedroom furniture and dining room buffet.  Of all the pieces, this is the one that reminds me most of her, and I love it.


Stay tuned for another living room update tomorrow.

2 comments:

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.