Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Evolution of Our Living Room

I've been trying to take more "after" photos around the house so that I can start to share a bit more of it.  When you enter our house, you're greeted with the living room to the left, stairs straight ahead and the dining room to the right.  Today, I'll give a sneak peak of the living room.

This room has evolved over the past 3+ years.  Here's what it looked like when we bought the house.
  

Before moving in, we had the floors refinished, crown moulding and fireplace surround installed and the walls/trim painted.  The room has so many windows, doors and entrance-ways, that it makes it difficult to fully utilize the space.  So, I've played with the furniture layout countless times. But, I think the current layout might stick (the big pieces, anyway). Here's what it looks like today.







We love this room - and even though it's more of a formal living room - we actually spend a lot of time in here.  In reality, there are usually blocks, puzzles, princess paraphernalia, etc. all over the floor, strollers parked in the entrance; and the ottoman spends most of its time pushed up against the fireplace.  But, I was able to steal a few minutes over the weekend to tidy up and take some pics.

Sources:  sofa, chairs and ottoman from Ethan Allen; jute rug from naturalarearugs.com; roman shades from Pottery Barn; globe and lamps were wedding gifts; burlap lampshades from Target; round side table belonged to my grandparents; rectangular side table and secretary are craigslist finds (the side table was $5!); painting by David Oleski was an amazing 5th anniversary surprise gift from my husband; rooster pitcher from Pierre Deux; suzani pillow is from Istanbul; zigzag and ikat pillows sewn by yours truly. 

7 comments:

  1. Your room is lovely. Your ability to layer I think is what makes this room look complete and the combination of pillow styles and color create a rich and colorful focal point. Truly an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your kind comment. I had actually just linked over to your etsy shop on Friday, when I saw a la mode's post about your pillows - I LOVE them and EVERYTHING in your shop... gorgeous fabrics, beautifully done!! I will definitely keep you in mind if I'm in the market for trade-only fabric pillows!

    I have to be honest - a few years ago - I had only blue and cream pillows in my living room. It was pretty, but totally flat. I have been endlessly inspired by design blogs - and have studied rooms that I like to see how patterns and colors are layered.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a gorgeous room! I love the window treatments and the great fabrics on the pillows!
    Good job!

    shannon berrey design
    www.shannonberrey.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous! I'm so excited I found your blog through 6th Street. I love your style! Those pillows are gorgeous- you made some of those? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such nice comments from such talented ladies... thank you! Shannon - very happy to discover your blog. Michelle - I've been following Ten June for months now - love it! And, love seeing another lawyer-by-day in the design blogosphere! (p.s., I sewed the chevron and ikat pillows.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful room! you did an amazing job!

    i love the red ikat fabric! where did you find it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! The red ikat is from Calico Corners - it's called Magnificat.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.