Monday, April 25, 2011

Pretty papers and polka dots

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend.  Mine started off great on Friday, when my DIY ladder tape blinds project was featured on Little Green Notebook, one of my favorite blogs (welcome LGN readers)!  Jenny featured some amazing projects on Thursday and Friday, and I was very honored to be among them!

The rest of our weekend was low-key, but productive.  We had no plans, so we were able to spend time outside just enjoying the beautiful weather.  I was also able to tackle several projects... some successfully, some less-than successfully. 

One of my less-than successful projects was an impulsive and poorly-planned attempt at a landscaping task.  Only after digging up a perfectly decent patch of our front yard did I realize that I should just leave the yard work to my husband!  A quick trip to Home Depot for some sod, and we're part of the way back to normal (will the sod ever stop looking like a rug sitting on our lawn?).

On to one of the (mostly) successful projects... I made a couple of accessories for the girls' bathroom.  In all my years of crafting, I don't think I had ever used Mod Podge, and I was itching to try it.  So, I went on the hunt for some cute paper to decoupage onto a trash bin and tissue box cover.  There was no shortage of beautiful paper at Paper Source, which recently opened in downtown Bethesda.  I'll have to find uses for some of these gorgeous patterns (see their website for other beautiful papers):







Ultimately, I found the right color and pattern in their gift-wrap section (which also happens to be much more budget-friendly) - I'm a sucker for polka dots.  Here are the finished products with the window fabric and the new rug I just ordered from Garnet Hill.  Well, I'm actually not sure they're "finished" yet...  I think they might each need a monogram in pink.  If I go for it - should I just do the first letter of our last name (since the 2 girls are sharing the bathroom)?  Now, if I can figure out how to use the Cricut die-cutter that my mom so generously gave me!


More details on the tissue box cover and trash bin to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.