Monday, April 4, 2011

DC Design House - Part I

The 4th Annual DC Design House benefiting Children's National Medical Center opens to the public on April 9th.  I was thrilled to be able to attend the press preview and chat with many of the talented designers.  The house - a 1925 English Country Tudor - is spectacular, and the designs did not disappoint.  I loved exploring each and every room and was incredibly inspired.  Because there are so many amazing rooms to share, this week, I'll be posting a few rooms each day until Thursday.

Let's start with the first few spaces that you see as you enter the house.

1.  The Entry & Stair Hall, by Liz Levin Interiors.  What a fabulous first impression!  I wish I had captured a photo from the front portico, showing the foyer table with lovely glass chandelier and symmetrical layout of the space (You can see the rendering of the space on My Notting Hill, where Michelle posted about the "barebones tour" here), but I hope you can get a flavor for the beauty of this space from the different vantage points below.  The hand-painted Moorish motif on the walls was truly breathtaking.  So subtle, yet, it makes such a huge impact.   


Gorgeous photograph by Angie Seckinger.

The innovative artwork is by Susan Noyes, and is composed of razor blades on canvas. 





The lovely designers, Liz Levin and Stuart McCormick, who could not have been nicer.

2.  Living Room, Patrick Sutton Associates

I didn't have a chance to meet Patrick Sutton, but I did take my time trying to acquaint myself with every amazing aspect of this room.  First and foremost, the space itself is jaw-dropping.  Towering ceilings, wood beams and Juliet balcony - not your average living room.  But, the proportions of the furniture, the subtle wallpaper and variety of textures and finishes work to make the space feel approachable and even cozy.  Many of the beautiful furnishings are from Patrick Sutton's own collection.
 



In this photo, you can catch a glimpse of the foyer table and chandelier in the entry.





I adore these French 19th century chairs with the colorful crewel upholstery.

The neutral rugs help to keep the room from being too formal.  They have a wonderfully thick braided texture.




The upholstered screens are such a dramatic touch.  Since I'm planning to make a velvet headboard with nailhead trim, I was particularly drawn to them. 


 A beautiful vignette - with a hint of the quatrefoil detail on the settee and exquisite Branch Side Table by Rose Tarlow



This is a view through the glass doors at the Juliet Balcony (accessible from the Master Bedroom's Dressing Room, which I will feature tomorrow).

 3.  Library, Nancy M. Colbert, Design Partners, LLC
 
The library, off the main foyer, is understated and elegant, with a few touches that had me at hello...

If this light fixture looks familiar - it is because I just posted it on Friday - in my bathroom inspiration photo.  It is a Barbara Barry design for Circa Lighting.  One day...


The woodwork, the roman shade, the ceiling, oh my!  The speckled gold ceiling is such an unexpected touch.  Shimmer can be difficult to pull off, but I think it works beautifully here.

If you're in the area, I highly recommend visiting the Design House! 

Check back tomorrow for the rooms upstairs.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to have missed the chance to meet you at Press Day. Love your close-up shots of the library ceiling paper and the chandelier too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michelle! I still can't get that ceiling paper out of my mind.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.