Browsing through the newest design e-magazine to hit the world wide web -
Trad Home (love!), I saw this image of a Bungalow 5 Ming-style side table:
 |
| Bungalow 5 Harlow Tea Table, available at Clayton Gray Home (shown in Turquoise in Trad Home) |
I've always loved this style - especially in glossy white or a bright hue.
 |
| Mary McDonald (who else?) via Domino via Matters of Style (check out their great post on Ming low tables) |
Last year, I happened upon a gorgeous pair of Ming-style benches on Craigslist - and snapped them up for a steal!
 |
| As purchased. The frame is solid wood and super-heavy. |
I knew I wanted these to serve as coffee tables/ottomans in our basement, but I wasn't exactly sure what direction to take them in...
 |
| thumbs down... too pearly/metallic |
 |
| Another no-go. Still a fan of the bright (and kid-friendly) school-bus yellow vinyl - but, the color didn't work with my other yellows. |
Ultimately, I opted for a graphic print... but, only after treating the wood frames to a shiny new coat of white spray paint.
 |
| Removing the seat cushions was as easy as a few turns of a screwdriver. Spray-painting was a breeze as well - especially with the little plastic trigger handle. It turned out relatively smooth, but to be candid, I have never achieved the perfect lacquered look that I hope for when painting furniture with a glossy finish. One day, I might send a piece of furniture off to an auto detailer for a paint job - I've heard that is the way to go! |
Here they are now:
 |
| Reupholstering the cushions would have been insanely simple had I chosen a solid color - just stretch and staple. The pattern made it a bit trickier, because I wanted it to hit in the right place, and I wanted both benches to look the same. Still, it took no more than an hour to recover the two cushions and reattach them. |
For now, they're working well in the basement and I think the bold punch of black and white pattern brightens up the space. But, I'm sure I'll tire of the chevron look sooner or later and these benches will undergo a makeover or five in their lifetimes. A few cans of spray paint and a yard of fabric is all it would take for an entirely new look.
They look great!!!
ReplyDeleteI love those, you did a great job! Now I'm off to search CL for some Mingy Thingies!!!
ReplyDeleteVery nice transformation! Love the fabric:) Stop by for a blog visit.
ReplyDelete