It was about a week before our fifth wedding anniversary last year - we were home - kids were napping. I thought we were waiting for an old friend to stop by for a quick visit (on his way through town for a work conference), but when there was a knock at the door, I didn't immediately recognize the person standing there. I also couldn't figure out why our "friend" would be driving a big van and carrying a large package to our door.
When I opened the door, the man standing there took off his sunglasses and introduced himself as David Oleski, I was too dumbfounded to respond. Unfortunately, due to my dumbfoundedness (?), I don't think I gave the shocked/amazed/overwhelmed/THRILLED reaction that Mr. 12 d might have hoped for... but, I was! Totally floored.
He had communicated with David for months to select the perfect painting and plan the surprise. Not only that, but knowing me - and how ridiculously picky I am - he had chosen one painting that he thought would be the best fit in our home, but also arranged for David to bring a selection of other paintings, so that I would have a choice. I LOVED the red tulips painting that they had selected, but just to be 100% sure that it was the right choice, we tried out about five other paintings on various walls in our house. It was SUCH a cool experience - a personal in-home art consultation with the artist himself. Well, they had chosen VERY well, because the red tulips were absolutely perfect.
| Red tulips in our living room. |
David and his lovely wife spent some time chatting with us - they are terrific! Such warm and kind people.
I always look forward to finding David's booth at the Bethesda art fair, checking out his new works and catching up. The skull is a recent work - I love his take on an edgy subject! His dynamic brushstrokes, wonderful impressionist quality and beautiful happy colors are what make his paintings so irresistible to me - they brighten any room. We're very proud to own one of his stunning works!
Thank you again (Mr. 12 d), for the BEST. GIFT. EVER. Happy almost anniversary!!












I love his work, too!
ReplyDelete