Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Cupcakes (and my yummy cream cheese frosting recipe)!



My baby turns two today... and we'll be celebrating with cupcakes.

It wasn't until I tried the truly scrumptious cupcakes at Georgetown Cupcake a few years ago, that I developed an appreciation for cake - let alone cupcakes.  I have always been much more of a brownie and cookie kind of girl.  I had tried Magnolia's cupcakes in NY, and was wholly unimpressed.  The key (to me) is cream cheese frosting!  I just don't care for buttercream and the cake is sort of an afterthought (I almost always use cake mix).  So, I spent some time googling cream cheese frosting recipes to find something that would come close to the fluffy deliciousness of Georgetown Cupcake's.  What I ended up finding is about as simple as it gets - but, the proportions seem to be just right, because my frosting has gotten great reviews each time I've made it.

Sweet & Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting:
  • 4 cups powdered sugar;
  • 1 lb cream cheese;
  • 2 sticks butter (softened);
  • 1 tsp vanillla
 Just toss it all in the mixer (slowly blending in the sugar) and mix it up until it's light and fluffy.



My favorite topping for cupcakes are real chocolate sprinkles... not the waxy kind they sell at the grocery store.  (My sprinkle snobbiness goes back a long way - we lived in Belgium when I was little, where toast with butter and chocolate sprinkles was a favorite breakfast treat - and the sprinkles were actual belgian chocolate.)  This Dutch brand is terrific - and these happen to be sold on Amazon at the moment. 



But, alas - the little one asked for "pink and blue" cupcakes. 


I don't usually work with the colored crystal decorations - and, I'm not sure I would do it again... but, that's the "blue" I had on hand.  Nonpareils are a close second to chocolate sprinkles for me, so, they're my go-to topping when I want to add color.


I follow Georgetown Cupcake's approach to the thickly swirled frosting using a plastic cake decorating bag with round plastic tip.



To achieve the (somewhat messy) heart design - I used a cookie cutter.  I just touched it to the frosting, and then sprinkled the blue crystals around the outside portion first.


Then, I sprinkled some nonpareils right inside the cutter - pouring off excess before removing it.


 Voila! 

Next time - I think I'd do 2 different colored nonpareils - one inside and another outside - and skip the crystals, which don't give very good coverage and end up looking patchy.


Still, they're kind of cute - and my girls are easy to please in the cupcake department!



2 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Samantha!!! We will be calling you tonight with the boys.
    The cupcakes look delicious and beautiful!!!
    Funny that I bought this dutch sprinkles online to do the brazilian treats for Alexander's party.
    xo
    Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.