Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Chair update

I didn't quite finish the chair this weekend.  We had too much fun at the pool, BBQs and catching up with good friends.  Nevertheless, I got carried away on Sunday night, and stayed up until 1:30 a.m. getting most of the way there.

On Thursday, I started with this:

And, by 12 or 1 a.m., had made it to this:


Sunday night, I got to work on draping and stapling...


In lieu of the synthetic webbed material, I used blackout drapery fabric as additional support for the back fabric. 

Stapled my way around the perimeter and then cut away most of the excess...


Looking pretty decent from the back...


Next, I laid down the back cushion and front fabric and got busy stapling...


Once I finished the front of the back cushion, I hit a little snag... I turned the chair around to have another look at the back, and saw dozens of sharp points poking out the back!  Eek... many staples had missed the chair frame or went in at bad angles.  I did my best to pry out all the errant staples, but left some damage to the wood frame and had a tough time in some spots)).  Oh well, I'm ok with 'good enough' for my first real upholstery job!
 

Next was the seat cushion...


It was a little tricky maneuvering around the wood frame, and I didn't do a perfect job of it, but again - good enough.






And, by 1:30 a.m. (shame on me) early Monday morning - I had gotten to this point:



I still need to add trim to hide all the staples and raw fabric edges.  I love the look of a double-welt, so, I'm going to try that... but, first need to acquire the double-welt cording - and figure out how to sew it. 

Despite the imperfections, I'm really excited about how the chair is turning out - it's going to be a great addition to our master bedroom.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Alicia! I am very impressed! It looks great!
    xo
    Daniela

    ReplyDelete
  2. So impressed! It looks awesome.
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks amazing- you did a great job getting the fabric in the right spots!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.