Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Swatches: Decisions have been made!

I finally settled on fabrics for the window treatments in our two (soon-to-be) new bathrooms.

Master Bathroom

This fabric is for a roman shade.  I found it at Calico Corners (on sale for 20% off).  I wanted a print that was not too graphic or bold.  I find this one to be lovely and soothing. 

Thom Filicia for Kravet - Griffith in Sky

This shows the various colorways.
In fact, this print reminds me of a beautiful book our older daughter loves entitled "Wave," by Suzy Lee

When it arrived at my house, I immediately draped it over the current window treatment to see how it looks in the room, and I am not disappointed. 


Amazingly enough, among the 50+ blue benjamin moore paint chips that I took home from the hardware shop, I did not find a single suitable shade of light blue.  I will have to continue my hunt for the perfect blue.

Before finding and falling for the bird print above, a different bird print had won me over:

Premier Prints - Barber in Taupe/Robin
I ordered a couple of yards of this (budget friendly) fabric -- and love it.  But, because I am going for a serene feel, I was concerned that this design might be too "busy" for the bathroom.  Still, the pattern will be perfect for pillows in my living room!

The other major contender for the master bedroom window was this:
Serena & Lily - Jaipur in Bark
This is gorgeous, and maybe I'll find a place for it in the future.  But, it felt a little bold for the space I envision.

Girls' Bathroom

For the girls' bathroom, I am still "thinking pink."  I plan to paint the walls a very pale shade of pink and make either a roman shade or a valance for the window.  I was unafraid of going bold in this room and this playful, punchy fabric by Lee Jofa/Groundworks caught my eye.  It was my first foray into designer fabric.  Fortunately, I only needed a yard, so it didn't put too much of a dent in the budget! 

Lee Jofa/Groundworks - Daisy Daisy in Pink/Orange

When it arrived, a similar draping process took place - followed by this crazy scene: 
This is my process for choosing the perfect shade of pink to coordinate with the towels and window fabric.  By this point, I had already rejected the colors scattered about on the bed.

Narrowing it down further...

Down to two -- the ultimate decision was whether to go cool or warm.

And, I think we have a winner.  I chose the cooler of the two shades, which coordinates better with the bluish pinks in the towels and window fabric.

A close second to the "daisy daisy" print was this similar design from Serena & Lily.  But, I didn't think a cotton sateen would be ideal for a window treatment.  In any case, I prefer the larger scale and brighter colors in the print above.

I'm not particularly looking forward to the shade-making process --I find it terribly tedious.  But, I hope I'll be able to document it step-by-step and share it in a future post.  Maybe that will motivate me!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.